Have you ever found it so intimidating when thinking of starting your dropshipping business? You have to deal with many things, from choosing your dropshipping products to marketing them effectively. A lot of work to do!
Fortunately, many resources online can help you get started with dropshipping, and most of them are free. One of the most practical ways is checking out top Shopify stores for inspirational ideas that you can apply to your own dropshipping store.
So, read this guide until the last words to learn basic knowledge about dropshipping, Shopify, the correlation between them, and the most important part – top 7 Shopify dropshipping stores for inspiration in 2020.
What Is Dropshipping?
Simply put, dropshipping is an order fulfillment method in which sellers don’t need to keep the products themselves. Instead, when an order comes in, you – as a retailer, transfer the customer’s order and shipping information to a third party, like a manufacturer, wholesaler, or another retailer that then ships the product to the customer.
So, this means you can curate and market products but never actually handle any items that are sold. Despite this, you’ll reap the lion’s share of the profit by marking up the items you sell. It makes dropshipping very appealing for new, small, home-based online businesses.
What Is Shopify?
Shopify is an all-inclusive e-commerce platform that enables entrepreneurs to start their own online stores. Shopify works as the foundation, which provides the basic skeleton for online business owners to start and design their stores. Also, its backend lets you run your business without any hosting fees.
You’ll need to pay Shopify’s reasonably priced monthly fees, and then you can access an admin panel where you enter your store information, add products, and process orders. Additionally, you’ll be able to choose from a rich collection of free and for-purchase design templates. These themes are modern and clean, with a number of editing tools that you can apply to make the chosen theme fit your brand.
With its user-friendly interface, professional design, and ease of use, Shopify has become the most popular e-commerce platform on the planet, with an impressive number of 1 million Shopify users in April 2017. And this figure is anticipated to increase significantly in the next few years.
How Does Dropshipping Work on Shopify?
Chances are if you are entering “dropshipping” on Google search engine, Shopify’s name will appear. This is because Shopify is one of the most accessible platforms to set up online stores, and it becomes the go-to solution for many dropshippers and newbie enterprises.
You might wonder the way dropshipping works on Shopify. So, there are two of the most common approaches on Shopify that dropshipping merchants often use:
- Seeking out suppliers located in the US, Europe, or anywhere else in the world. You can use online supplier databases or Shopify apps (like Spocket) to connect with thousands of suppliers.
- Using Orbelo, an app that has been specifically and exclusively developed by Shopify, to help entrepreneurs upload products directly from the AliExpress to their Shopify store. The whole process of managing, selecting, selling, and shipping products is entirely automated.
Below is an illustration to help you better understand the process:
Why Should You Start a Shopify Dropshipping Business?
Dropshipping is considered as a great business model, especially for first-time online business owners, because it has quite a low entry barrier.
Here are 5 main reasons why you should start a dropshipping business model right now:
- Smaller initial investment: Probably the most attractive point of dropshipping is that it doesn’t require a lot of investment to get started. With the dropshipping method, you pay for the product only when it’s been purchased, and the buyer has paid you. This means lower start-up costs and a lower level of risk than brick-and-mortars.
- Easy to manage: You do not have to find, purchase, store, maintain, or ship your products. This enables you to handle easily, as well as spend more time and resources on the design and marketing activities in your store.
- Low overhead costs: As you don’t have to deal with purchasing inventory or managing a warehouse, your overhead costs will be pretty low. In fact, many dropshipping stores operate as home-based businesses, which requires little more than a laptop connected with the Internet.
- Wide selection of products to sell: When you purchase inventory, it is easier and cheaper to buy in bulk quantities. However, with dropshipping, you can ultimately sell as many different items as you want at no extra cost, as you don’t have to keep an inventory of any product that you want to sell.
- Easy to scale: The majority of work falls on the dropshipping suppliers, which allow you to expand with less incremental work and fewer growing pains. Hence, you can dream bigger and extend your e-commerce business.
Top 7 Shopify Dropshipping Stores for Inspiration in 2020
Here are the top 7 Shopify dropshipping stores for inspiration in 2020. In each example, a brief introduction and outstanding features will be logically shown.
1. Inspire Uplift
Inspire Uplift has been one of the top dropshipping stores for a long time. Launching in 2015 under the name “Hype Dojo” and rebranding as “Inspire Uplift” in 2017, they have been achieving success in the dropshipping general store business model for nearly 5 years.
- Store layout: Nothing crazy or too fancy, a simple design with the focus to drive sales
- Product listings: A wide range of products, with excellent photographs, some taken by professional photographers and some simply taken from AliExpress product listings
- Customer reviews: A well-selected product reviews section, which is a great way to earn the audience’s trust and brand credibility.
If you’re frequently active on Facebook, there’s no doubt that you would have seen one of HYGO’s viral videos popping up at some point. HYGO is a general store with over 1600 products listed. HYGO uploads a staggering number of new products every single week, continually testing to see if they can find new bestsellers.
- Videos and images: They make their own in-house videos and images for every product to showcase features and benefits and build customer trust.
- Social media: They post their videos and images on Facebook and Youtube channel to leverage viral engagement.
- Call-to-action button: The “Buy now” button is very bold and outstanding, which catches your eyes, and the more you buy, the more you can save!
3. Dude Gadgets
This is a general dropshipping store with the coolest gadgets for guys all over the world, like torch watches, car gadgets, pocket fisher rod, and so on.
- Quick view: With a clean interface and focus on product images, it becomes easier for visitors to view a product they like.
- Support button: Scroll to the bottom, you’ll see a big green support button, which encourages visitors to contact and get help.
The very first thing you might notice is the catchy name and logo, which plays on the familiarity of Wikipedia. This general store helps you keep track of the trendiest and the most innovative products in the market today.
- GIFs in product descriptions: Every product has its own GIF to explain its usage. This makes this site different compared to other stores.
- Quick shop: Look at their “All products” page, and you will see the button when you hover your mouse over a product. It can save time for visitors when they want to know more about the product.
- Currency converter: Another point making this dropshipping store unique is that they automatically convert the currency to the currency of the visitor.
Meowingtons is a thriving niche e-commerce site built on Shopify that specializes all-based around cat products. It started as a dropshipping business with many products sourced from AliExpress. They are now gradually switching to branding their own products, getting about 4,000 visitors per day to the site, and estimated revenue of $100,000 per month.
- Design: Full of color with multiple offers hitting you when you enter the store. Most of them are urgent and time-sensitive, which drives customers to buy quickly.
- Social media: Meowingtons run viral marketing campaigns on Facebook and Instagram to increase its brand coverage and visibility.
NotebookTherapy is another unique niche dropshipping store to make the top eight. This store sells cute, Japanese-and-Korean-inspired stationery, notebooks, backpacks, and gadgets, which mostly target girls and women.
- Design: They use bright colors across the website, and their products are presented in a clean, beautiful and stylish custom theme.
- Marketing campaigns: Clever combination of social media marketing (Facebook, Instagram mostly), influencer marketing, and paid aids. Besides, they promote excellent reward and loyalty programs via email marketing to increase the retention rate.
Aesthentials, previously named as SoAestheticShop, is the last dropshipping store that is mentioned in this list. Focus on young girl’s apparel, Aesthentials has an aesthetic vibe as its name.
- Product listings: 1,000+ niche targeted products – huge selection leads to increased sales and more best-sellers found.
- Marketing campaign: Aesthentials has a very interesting traffic channel, most of them come from Youtube influencer marketing.
- Images & videos: great custom product photography that builds customer trust and brand credibility.
Due to its ease of use and the wide variety of apps available, it’s understandable why Shopify becomes a popular platform choice for dropshipping. To determine whether Shopify is the right choice for your e-commerce business, start small. By connecting with just a few suppliers or only a short list of products, you can explore the ins and outs of both dropshipping and the Shopify platform.
And, a list of top 7 successful Shopify dropshipping stores above can help you gain inspiration and start running your own online store. They all have their own competitive advantages, with promotion strategy, distinctive design, and overcome fierce competition and achieve undeniable success. So, hope that this article is enough to boost your confidence in launching an e-commerce business right now!